My Obsessions Pt. 9 - Stylish Films Vol.1.

Styling it to the silver screen.


  Para la obsesión de hoy quiero mostrar algunos de los filmes que han logrado convertirse en mis absolutos favoritos. Aunque muchos de mis amigos me conocen por ser un sci-fi/fantasy freak la realidad es que suelo apreciar muchos tipos de películas y puede que algunos no lo crean pero varias de las películas en esta lista ni siquiera entran en esa categoría. Una de las características que todos tienen en común es que han dejado una impresión en mi a nivel de estilo, pienso que la ropa en un filme es integral para presentar una historia puede marcar épocas, sentimientos, actitudes, situaciones y hasta definir a un personaje sin necesidad de que este diga alguna palabra. Algo que he decidido hacer en homenaje a estas historias de la pantalla grande es crear atuendos inspirados en los mismos, espero les gusten. 

  For today´s obession I wanted to show you some of the films that have managed to become my absolute favourites. Though many of my friends know for being a sci-fi/fantasy freakazoid reality is that I do appreciate a lot of genres and a lot of my top films are actually quite off from those categories. One of the things I´ve found in common among all of them is that each one has left some impression in me style-wise, I do believe that clothing is an essential part in the craft of storytelling it can mark decades, feelings, attitudes, situations and even help to define a character without him/her having to utter a word. So I´ve decided in an homage to this films to create outfits inspired by them, hope you like them.


Kill Bill Vol. 1&2 - Quentin Tarantino

Ambos volúmenes de Kill Bill están justo en el top de mi lista (y casi todos los de Tarantino..) me encanta la estética de este filme con sus escenas a lo spaghetti western, chanbara japones, artes marciales chinas y los momentos de comedia sarcástica. Aunque para muchos el filme pueda ser algo sangriento yo me quedo con la filosofía y la historia que inspiró ésta historia, ademas quien puede olvidar el traje amarillo de Beatrix Kiddo en homenaje a un atuendo del legendario Bruce Lee y el completamente loco pero fantástico soundtrack, desde la sutileza y melancolía de Nancy Sinatra con Bang Bang hasta el airoso mariachi rock de Chingon en Malagueña Salerosa. Para el atuendo decidí crear algo un poco más casual girando alrededor de un fabuloso trench en amarillo mostaza.

Both volumes of Kill Bill are just right at the top of my list (and almost every Tarantino movie...except Death Proof that was horrible) I love the aestethic of the film with its scenes paying homage to such styles as spaghetti western, japanese chanbara and chinese martial arts with is sarcastic comedy moments and pop culture references. Even though many people might just see the film as damn bloody I choose to stay with its message and philosophy as well as the story that inspire this story, also who can forget Beatrix´s yellow suit which itself was a homage to one that the legendary Bruce Lee wore and the totally mad soundtrack that went from the subtle melancholy of Nancy Sinatra´s Bang Bang to the pumping rock mariachi that was Malagueña Salerosa courtesy of the awesome Chingon. The outfit I created is less thematic and more modern casual with every element spinning around a fabulous mustard yellow trench.


Drive - Nicolas Winding Refn

Drive entró en la lista recientemente una noche donde el insomnio atacaba y la tele era lo único que impedía que me tirara por la ventana (ok, no tan dramático). Una historia algo agridulce pero excelente que en muchas ocasiones se comunica mediante elementos visuales y cuya vibra tiene una fuerte influencia ochentera, a pesar de estar ambientada en la actualidad, que es una de mis épocas favoritas en cuanto a colores, música y algo de moda. Cree el outfit para que fuera una versión actual con elementos ochenteros algo más estilizados y el bomber como protagonista, una pieza que en el filme también tuvo mucho protagonismo.

Drive went into my list recently one night where insomnia was all over me and the TV was the only thing keeping me from jumping out the window (ok, maybe it was not THAT dramatic). This is a bittersweet tale that excells in communicating through its visuals and that has a fantastic eighties influence, though is set in modern times, one of my favourite decades for music and color palette...and a little of the fashion (let´s face it most of the time it was so over the top). For the outfit I took some retro elements and set it to a more current style with the bomber jacket as the lead piece which also had a prominent screen time in the movie.


Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen

Esta es una de esas películas que es imposible odiar, bueno al menos para mi, y es que Woody Allen sabe contar historias y crear personas tan únicos que las traen a la vida increíblemente. Me parece hermoso como la trama salta del presente al pasado, soy un super fanático de los años 20 y todo el lujo de la Belle Epoque. La forma en la que incluye a personajes históricos tan únicos, coloridos, llenos de fallas y al mismo tiempo maravillosos y atrapantes me cautiva. El outfit que cree hace homenaje a los dos tiempos en los que transcurre el filme y es por eso que decidí hacer una versión moderna del estilo flapper con una mezcla de sports/luxe y elementos de art deco.

This is one of those films you can´t hate, well at least I think so, just because Woody Allen knows how to tell a story and creates characters soy unique that they bring it to life in the most cunning way. I thought it was beautiful the way its plot jolted back and fourth from present to past, I am a huge fan of the roaring twenties fashion and all the luxury from the Belle Epoque. The way he includes historical figures making them so interesting, colorful, flawed and at the same time marvellous and catching I find it deeply captivating. The outfit I created is a homage to that time swap that occurs in the film and that´s why I decided to do a modern version of the flapper style in a mix of sports/luxe with elements of art deco.

Under the Tuscan Sun - Audrey Wells

Nombro a esta película mi "feel-good movie" por que sencillamente me alegra la vida cada vez que la veo es algo que no puedo controlar, ademas que logró agregar en mi lista de sitios donde tengo que ir al menos una vez en la vida a La Toscana y Positano. Creo que el mensaje es muy positivo y la fotografía es bella pero cuando tienes a Italia de fondo creo que es imposible no lograr lo segundo. En cuanto al estilo, creo que el filme mantiene una estética muy clásica y femenina casi como una belleza que no se trabaja simplemente esta. Mi outfit esta inspirado en una de las últimas escenas solo que le he puesto un poco más de glam aunque mantengo la esencia elegante del mismo sin cargarlo de muchas cosas.

I name this one my "feel-good movie" because it just makes me happy everytime I see it and its totally unavoidable for me, beside it included Tuscany and Positano in my "Must-visit" places list. The message of this movie is really positive and the photography is stunning but I mean when you have Italy as your background it can´t really go wrong. Style-wise I think the film takes a more classic approach to the italian style making it very classic and femenine almost as a beauty you don´t even work for, is just there. I took this as a cue to create the outfit which is inspired by one of the last scenes though I did make it a bit glammier but without over doing it.


Yeah I know there are only four...but this is just half of my list...they could be ten but I haven´t found number 9 and 10...yet. 



Hugs, Andy.


3 comments:

  1. Me ha encantado el post! muy atinado cada outfit inspirado en las peliculas! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me ha encantado el post!! Muy original.. diferente :)
    Tienes un blog genial, te parece que nos sigamos?
    Un beso!!

    www.lespetitsdeetails.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oeh Andy thanks for these films! I have to admit I only saw Under the Tuscan Sun (but I can't remember what it is about so I'll have to watch it again!) Love the clothes you picked with each movie!! Your observations about style in these movies are great, you really know what you're talking about love :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!